What are they doing up there? GIS Week 2
SEPs: Developing and Using Models; Planning and Carrying out Investigations; Analyzing and Interpreting Data; Using Mathematics and Computational Thinking; Engaging in Argument from Evidence; Obtaining, Evaluating, and Communicating Information
CCCs: Patterns; Systems and System Models; Energy and matter: Flows, Cycles, and Conservation
CA EPs & Cs:
Time: 1 Day, 45 minutes
What role does the California condor play in the California ecosystem, and how do changes in the ecosystem impact condors over time?
1. Watch the Condor chick nest cam clips or the live nest cam if available to warm up.
2. Re-watch the anchoring phenomena video while students prepare for the GIS activity (open tablets, ready datasheets, etc...).
3. Guiding Question: What do you observe your condor doing most of the time? Why do you think it does that?
4. In their groups, have students fill out the GIS Datasheet using the updated weekly GPS Data* in Google Earth.
5. Enter weekly averages into Teacher Database.
6. Have students write down 1 or 2 new questions for the Question Board.
*to request access to GPS data e-mail Park Ranger: firstname.lastname@example.org